The Rules of the Liebster Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominator.
- Nominate other bloggers for the award that have less than 200 followers.
- Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
- Let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them.
Here are the answers for the questions I’ve been asked by The Travel Well:
1) Which destination surprised you most and why?
The first place that pops to mind is Kiev, Ukraine. I went there over the Christmas break and I was expecting a cold, grey, ex-soviet city and what I found was a very European-feeling city, with great architecture and warm, helpful people.
2) Where did you find the friendliest locals?
I’d have to say Belgium. Everybody was very relaxed, riding the tram or their bikes around town, smiling and happy to help. The small towns were the best and the people were the most genuine, friendly without expecting a thing in return.
3) What has changed about how you travel now since you first started out?
With some experience accummulated, I can say that I’ve gained more confidence and I am certainly more daring. Traveling and being an expat for so long made me realize people are generally great and that the world is not a big scary place.
4) Of all your travels so far, what has been your favourite experience?
Probably going around Turkey by myself for about two months was my biggest adventure to date. There’s a certain rush to being in such a different culture and once you are back in the comfort and carelessness of the Western world, you get to miss it.
5) What will be your ultimate travel experience, if money wasn’t an issue?
I am actually preparing myself for the trip of a lifetime: leaving Europe through the Trans Siberian route, going deep into Asia: Mongolia, China, all South East Asia, maybe a stop in Australia and Japan. Unfortunatelly, money is an issue, so I am doing my best to save up right now.
6) What is the most ‘off the beaten track’ destination you’ve visited?
I’ve recently returned from a trip to Moldova and Ukraine and one of the detinations was Tiraspol, the capital of the disputed territory of Transnistria. Being there was definitely different from any other place I’ve experienced, you can read about it HERE.
7) Have you ever been caught out in a scam?
While in Turkey some 4 years ago, I actually believed the first hotel I worked for was going to pay what they promissed, but only later did I come to realize that foreigners are only regarded as visitors in Turkey, there is no paying for your services, you pay for the accommodation and little food offered through your services.
8) What has been the worst journey of your travels?
All travels are good experiences in one way or another, but I think I felt most uncomfortable in Barcelona. On the first night there, I had my handbag stolen and had to visit the police station. That left a mark on the whole trip and, along with the rudeness and the unrestelssness of the city, it got in the way of me fully enjoying my time there.
9) If you could only pick one thing, what has travelling taught you?
That the world is a big place 🙂
10) Beach, city, mountains or jungle – where would you prefer to be and why?
Couldn’t possibly pick just one, I like all these destinations, each is different and offers a particular experience. The essence of life is variety.
Here are my nominations:
And here are my 10 questions for them:
1) What’s the number one destination on your travel whishlist?
2) What’s your favorite destintion of 2013?
3) You’ve got only 3 trips left as your 3 last wishes, where would they be?
4) Full time job + travel on your holidays or nomading?
5) Do you collect any souvenirs from places you visit? What do you bring back home with you from your trips?
6) What kind of travelling do you generally do, budget, mid-range or luxury?
7) What are the essentials of your travel gear?
8) What is the longest trip you ever took?
9) Do you prefer travelling alone, in a group or with a partner?
10) As a begginer travel blogger, what are your resolutions in this aspect for 2014?
Thanks again for the nomination and looking forward to reading the your answers!